Monday, January 05, 2009

Lunch at Satsuma..

Today, I brought Alvin to Satsuma Shochu Dining Bar for his birthday treat!! (His birthday is on 9th Jan... Remember to wish him Happy Birthday on Friday!)

The beginning of the day was quite funny because my mum gave me a lift and she thought that I wanted to go to ANSON road whereas the actual location of Satsuma was at NANSON road. So after being lost for awhile and confused over the actual location, we whipped out the street directory that would guide us to the eventual location.

Satsuma is located at The Gallery Hotel. You can drop by Miramar hotel and walk a short distance over the bridge to where it's situated. Here, lunch is only served on level 2 of Satsuma whereas dinner is served on both.

Walking into the restaurant, you're greeted by polite staff and guided to your seats. The interior is done in a wood finish and with the yellow lights, the ambience at night would be most romantic. The menus were wrapped in fabric and laminated, a plus point for the contribution to the excellent service and ambience at Satsuma.

The Tatami room at the back

The decor that will look marvellous at night!

Now for the food...

We were offered the raw vegetable bowl but being here for the main courses, we declined their offer. (Plus I heard that the vegetable bowl is chargeable and the bowl is really big for 2 people.) Alvin ordered the pork shochu curry rice set while I ordered the osyter omelette with rice set (On recommendation from Jules!). I also ordered charcoal-grilled foie gras since I have never tried foie gras before! There were two other couples dining there so service was quite prompt. The waitress was quick to refill our teas and take our orders.

Pictures.. (All lunch sets come with miso soup and a fruit dessert)


Pork shochu curry rice set ($14):

I couldn't taste any alcohol so I'm not sure about why the name shochu was in the meal but since Alvin finished it off, I guess it should be fairly decent. I think they used lean meat or fatty meat sliced thinly so the meat was slightly tough for me. It's those chewy texture type.


Oyster omelette with rice set ($13):

Appearance-wise, it looked like a standard omu rice that you can eat at any Japanese restaurant. The rice was wrapped snugly in a runny omelette.

Prying it open...

You reveal juicy mushrooms and deliciously plump oysters within! Here at satsuma, this is a set that you won't want to miss. It puts your local hawker center or jian/or lua to shame!

Charcoal-grilled foie gras ($13)

My first experience with foie gras left me with only one conclusion. Foie gras is indeed an acquired taste.

The first bite of foie gras burst into the famous oily texture that people enjoy. The creamy and oily texture was an interesting combination, vaguely reminding me of uni, another creamy texture that I have previously tasted.

However, it drove me to the conclusion that whilst I do not distaste creamy foods, it will not be something that I would be ordering anytime soon...

Satsuma Shochu Dining Bar

1 Nanson Road

#01-10/02-10

The Gallery Hotel

Singapore 238909